- Spending more quality time together: Time is a commodity that there is never enough of. The more quality time you spend together the healthier the relationship. Studies have proved this over and over. It doesn’t mean you have to do exactly the same workout, just do it at the same time and place. And remember, a bike ride or evening walk counts as quality exercise time.
- Motivation: Exercise is one of those activities that requires constant motivation to keep it going. As humans we can think of a million excuses to skip it. That’s where your partner and you can work together to motivate each other. If one of you is looking for a free pass, the other one steps up and makes sure the workout happens. It is important to take turns on this role so it isn’t always the same person doing the motivating.
- Losing weight: It’s really hard to lose weight by yourself if you are in a relationship. It has been well established that combining diet and exercise works better than either one by itself. As a couple you can set realistic goals for yourselves that will really work. Chart your progress together and make it a team effort. You will see the pounds melt away.
- Side benefits: Looking for a way to spice up your love life? The actual act of working out together has been shown to help build a shared passion that extends into every aspect of the relationship, especially the romantic side. Exercise will also help those age-related problems that seem to get in the way. So exercise together and you may be able to throw away the Viagra.
- Save each other’s life: Exercise has been shown to be an effective treatment for obesity, diabetes, hypertension, cardiovascular disease, depression, and Alzheimer’s disease. There are clinical studies showing that exercise can positively affect the prevention, treatment, and recovery of all ten of the most deadly cancers, especially breast and colon cancer.
So this Valentine’s day, instead of candy and dinner why not try a different kind of date? Whether it is at the gym or in your home, try working out together. The benefits will affect every aspect of your life together. What greater gift could you give for Valentine’s Day, than the gift of a better life.